Persona 4 Portable: Come on
I’ve been playing Persona 3 Portable recently (“playing” is a bad way of saying “fervently mashing at buttons for hours on end while shunning the outside world”), and it got me thinking. WHY oh why can’t Atlus get itself to release a Persona 4 Portable?
The biggest frustration for me concerning this is that when Atlus made P3P (Persona 3 Portable), they used Persona 4’s battle engine, and had to re-balance everything to reflect that fact. “They used P4’s engine, you say?” Yeah, I say:
- You have direct control over party members
- Skill fusions are gone
- Knocking down doesn’t cost a turn to get up from
- The “One More” system works as in Persona 4 (ie you only have to hit one enemy with a weakness in order to get a “One More”)
- The MC is restricted to a single weapon type
- Aesthetically, the combat looks like a Persona 4 battle much more than a Persona 3 battle
Now, I know that just porting the battle system isn’t that much of a reason to invest money in re-making the game, but come on. It’s like replacing Chrono Trigger’s battle system with Secret of Mana’s, then not porting Mana. It takes effort, and unless you really thought that the combat system in P3 was that broken, it should be effort put toward a re-make of Persona 4.
Ps: I am NOT on a Persona binge right now. Nope.